The latest update I’ve read on Jahar has me feeling a mix of concern, frustration, and sadness. I must say, however, that we have to take this update with a grain of salt because it’s information that supposedly found its way from Jahar’s family to one of the private Jahar Facebook groups where friends of the family post and finally to Twitter. Since there’s a chance that the update is true, I feel it’s important to share because of the serious situation it addresses.
I’ll quote one place that apparently summarizes what was on Facebook/Twitter:
I read on various Twitter feeds today that Jahar called his mother this week and told her that the Dr talked to him about surgery for his neck, throat and ear but that Jahar declined it because he is worried about what they may do to him while under anesthesia. Judy Clarke called his sister about it because he has trouble speaking and eating and he is getting very thin and shakes a lot.
If this is true, then it must mean that the surgery isn’t just to restore some of Jahar’s hearing but that it’s also supposed to help him be able to eat. In other words, it’s not something that would just make life a little less awful for Jahar; it’s something that would be important to keep him strong and healthy or possibly even—I hope circumstances aren’t this dire—to help him even survive.
I’m worried that it’s possible that Jahar really needs this surgery but he will refuse because he’s afraid. It’s so sad that he has to be afraid of the people that are supposed to help him.
Obviously this update brings up several prayer requests. Here are the ones that come to mind:
- Pray that Jahar ultimately will be given the wisdom to be able to choose to do what is best for him, and if that means to have the surgery, that God would calm his fears.
- Pray that either way God would protect Jahar. If he doesn’t get the surgery, pray that God would protect him from becoming malnourished and weak. If he gets it, pray that God would protect Jahar from any harm, whether it’s unintentional or—if Jahar does have valid concern—intentional.
- Pray that God would give strength to Jahar’s mind and body.
- Pray that God would heal Jahar of his injuries. Jahar can still be healed if he doesn’t have the surgery because our God is an amazing God of miracles who is more than capable of healing every one of Jahar’s injuries, including his deaf ear.
- And as always, pray that Jahar would come to faith in Jesus Christ as his Lord and Savior.